[R] Help with ANOVA in R

Ravi Kulkarni ravi.kulk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 05:09:50 CET 2010

Your line of code:

  zzz.aov <- aov(Intensity ~ Group + Error(Sample), data = zzzanova)

indicates that you are trying to do a repeated measures ANOVA, not just an
ANOVA. The Error(Sample) term in your expression indicates that Sample is a
within subjects factor, which I presume is not the case.
The way I understood your data, the Sample column is just an id number for
the subjects - is that right?

If you just want to compare the means of Intensity for the the four Groups,
then just do:

  zzz.aov <- aov(Intensity ~ Group, data = zzzanova)

You may want to consult this resource for explicit examples of ANOVA in R:

  http://www.personality-project.org/R/r.anova.html

Ravi Kulkarni