[R] Robust estimation of variance components for a nested design

S Ellison S.Ellison at lgc.co.uk
Thu Mar 11 15:55:49 CET 2010

One of my colleagues has a data set from a two-level nested design from
which we would like to estimate variance components. But we'd like some
idea of what the inevitable outliers are doing, so we were looking for
something in R that uses robust (eg Huber) treatment and returns robust
estimates of variance.

Nothing in my collection of R robust estimation packages (robust,
robustbase and MASS being the obvious three) or on the Robust task view
seems to cover this, though it's entirely possible I've missed
something.

Any pointers (to R packages or literature) gratefully accepted.

S Ellison
Lab of the Government Chemist, UK