[R] Help function "?" in R 2.10.1

S Ellison S.Ellison at lgc.co.uk
Thu Mar 11 15:58:42 CET 2010

R starts its own mini web server which parses the raw text pages and serves them as HTML. It does so using a particular randomly chosen port number on 127.0.0.1 (localhost). The port number is listed in the message 'if nothing happens, you should open ....'

followed by a url to paste into your browser.

Paste the url into your browser.

If that message isn;t appearing, something more complicated is wrong!

>>> Ivan Calandra <ivan.calandra at uni-hamburg.de> 11/03/2010 12:38:38 >>>
Well, when I try to access help files (not all of them actually) without
internet connection, I don't get anything.
What is it related to then?

Le 3/11/2010 13:06, Duncan Murdoch a écrit :
> Ivan Calandra wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think you do need an Internet connection to access the help files
>> with R2.10.
>
> No, it's all local, but you do need a web browser if you want to view
> the HTML help.  If you don't want the HTML help, you can set the help
> type to "text" using
>
> options(help_type="text")
>
> Then ?help will show you more options.
>
> Duncan Murdoch
>> There might be some way to access them off-line, though I have no
>> idea how.
>>
>> Maybe someone here knows.
>> Ivan
>>

>> Le 3/11/2010 09:42, Sergey Goriatchev a écrit :
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I have versions 2.7.2 and 2.10.1 installed on a machine that has no
>>> access to internet.
>>> In 2.7.2 I can use ? to get help on functions, which in 2.10.1 that
>>> does not work, all I see is "starting httpd help server...done" and
>>> then nothing.
>>>
>>> Have I downloaded 2.10.1 incorrectly (=forgot to tick some box for
>>> local help file repository) or is the internet help now the standard
>>> way to search help on functions?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance for help.
>>>
>>> Sergey

Ivan CALANDRA
PhD Student
University of Hamburg
Biozentrum Grindel und Zoologisches Museum
Abt. Säugetiere
Martin-Luther-King-Platz 3
D-20146 Hamburg, GERMANY
+49(0)40 42838 6231