[R] Failed install of package xlsReadWrite

Hans-Peter Suter gchappi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 19:21:32 CET 2010

> Hi, all. I too got this error, and when I went to register the correct DLL
> (thinking the one downloaded but not installed might have been the
> development version) I got an error that the registration had failed.
>
> What I typed:
>
> C:\Program Files\R\R-2.10.0\library\xlsReadWrite\libs>regsvr32
> xlsReadWrite.dll

Executing regsvr32 is absolutely _not_ necessary. It suffice to copy
the dll to the correct place (C:\Program
Files\R\R-2.10.0\library\xlsReadWrite\libs).

Unfortunately there is/was a bug in xlsReadWrite 1.5.1 such that with
a custom R_Libs path the existing dll was not replaced (iirc). This
and the relative-path bug has been fixed in the devel version.

If you download the full version, the package is supposed to work
right away. I currently still use XP (but don't know of any problems
related with Windows 7 or Vista).

Links (full, i.e. non-cran version, R2.10.x):
1.5.1: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2602516/swissrpkg/bin/win32/2.10/xlsReadWrite_1.5.1.zip
devel: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2602516/swissrpkg/bin/win32/2.10/xlsReadWrite_0.0.0.zip

Hope this helps!
(Otherwise feel free to contact me by email (gchappi  gmail), this
really must work).

Cheers,
Hans-Peter