[R] tm[,-1]

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Mar 11 23:34:40 CET 2010

On 11-Mar-10 22:12:47, Greg Snow wrote:
> [...]
[snip]
> There seems to be more and more people that feel a quick answer
> on the list is preferable to trying to understand the manuals.
> What if someone asked about the best shape for a wheel and did
> not want to read the manual, they mention that they have a square
> wheel that doesn't work, and when they tried a triangle it was
> even worse. Someone else then replies that they have had better
> luck with pentagons and hexagons look promising. Someone else
> mentions that they tried and octagon and it worked even better.
> Then someone comes in with the theory that a decagon would be
> even better, provided you can create a regular decagon, but
> they unfortunately have only succeeded at creating irregular
> ones that don't work as well as the octagon. A side branch then
> develops discussing smooth shapes of constant radius that would
> work as rollers, but don't quite work as wheels. All this time
> the manual has a good description of circles used as wheels
> including a simple way to make them, but!
> you won't look there, so you are doomed to a suboptimal solution.
[snip]

I have had good success recently with wheels based on the outline
of the Mandelbrot Set. These are perfectly adapted to the fractal
distribution of potholes in my local roads, following our recent
spell of very cold and snowy weather. However, I could not find
this in the manual, and was reduced to rolling my own ...
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 11-Mar-10                                       Time: 22:34:33