[R] NAs and row/column calculations

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu Mar 11 23:36:09 CET 2010

What do you expect a[!is.na(a)] to be?

The a matrix has 30 elements, 5 rows, and 6 columns.  You tell R to throw away 4 elements leaving you with 26, the computer (and most of the rest of us) doesn't know how to make a 5x6 matrix with only 26 elements.  It could make a 2x13 or 13x2, but that is unlikely what you want, so it just returns a vector without dimensions which then confuses the apply function.

Instead try:

> apply(a,2,sum, na.rm=TRUE)

Or

> apply(a, 2, function(x) sum( x[!is.na(x)] ) )

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center