[R] Append to outfile in R CMD BATCH mode

Turchin, Michael Michael.Turchin at childrens.harvard.edu
Fri Mar 12 03:18:57 CET 2010

So I have a semi-answer for myself. I don't think this way is preferable, but if you're going through the same thing as me, maybe it'll help.

If you pass your desired outfile as an argument in '--args filename', you can redirect the output the following way:

cmd_args = commandArgs()
print (cmd_args) #To figure out which number argument your outfile is
sink(cmd_args[2], append=TRUE) #Or whatever number argument your filename is

code

sink() #at the end of your script

Stderr I think still gets directed to your outfile location in the R CMD BATCH... command (see start of thread), but Stdout should now go to wherever you directed it with sink, plus, now you can append.

HTH (and if you're aware of a better way, please let me know!)
~Michael Turchin
Children's Hospital Boston
The Broad Institute