[R] VAR with contemporaneous effects

Pfaff, Bernhard Dr. Bernhard_Pfaff at fra.invesco.com
Fri Mar 12 09:42:15 CET 2010

Dear Mitch,

have you taken a look at ?SVAR in package (vars), though the inclusion of exogenous variables is currently not supported.
In principle, your model form is a simultaneous interdependent multiple equation model. For estimating these kind of models have a look at the package systemfit and/or you can estimate your reaction functions by OLS, collect these with -- if applicable -- identities and solve this model on a per period basis by applying for instance the Gauß-Seidel algorithm.
As an aside, one can cast these type models with the Fair-Parke program and call FP from R with system(). This last option is probably more appropriate for larger macroeconomic models. For more information see:

		http://fairmodel.econ.yale.edu/fp/fp.htm

Best,
Bernhard