[R] Help on getting help from manuals

Nutter, Benjamin NutterB at ccf.org
Fri Mar 12 14:03:31 CET 2010

As has been pointed out, there are tools in R to help find the commands
you are looking for.

As a practical note, I recommend starting with '?' if you think you know
what command you need.

If you're unsure of what command you need, my next step would be
help.search().  Often, the results from here will point you to a command
that you are looking for.

If a handful of tries with help.search() doesn't get you what you need,
then try RSiteSearch().  This will search the mailing list for entries
relevant to your search criteria.  Often times, you'll find that someone
has already asked your question.  In fact, I can only recall a couple of
times where a search of the mailing list has failed to provide a
solution for me.

Aside from reading lots of documentation, the one thing that has helped
me the most in picking up R has been reading Peter Dalgaard's
"Introductory Statistics with R."  It's a very small, basic introduction
to R, but laid a solid enough foundation that I soon found myself able
to produce and refine my own solutions.

In short, the best way to improve our knowledge of R is lots of reading
and a bit of trial and error.

Benjamin