[R] Creating images without X11

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Sun Mar 14 06:14:44 CET 2010

Jillian E Kozyra wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> We are attempting to create trees using R with our Ruby on Rails
> application. However, we are running into a problem involving the
> creation of the graphic. We would like them to be in either jpg or png
> format so that users can save, but due to a lack of control over our
> sever we are unable to start X11 server. Is there a way to create
> these images without using X11 server?
>
> Thanks,
> JIllian

I had this exact same problem last summer when attempting to set up an
automated process involving image generation on a remote server.  Since I
didn't have admin rights to the server, I ended up switching to the Cairo
package for image generation as it uses the Cairo library rather than X11 as
the back end.

The other solution involved setting some sort of obscure, arcane X11
permission that I can't recall right now.  All I can recall is that finding
it was a frustrating half-day of Google searching and digging through man
pages.

I would suggest Cairo.

Hope this helps!

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University