[R] C# DLL Library

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Wed Mar 17 09:16:46 CET 2010

JSmaga wrote:

> I was aware of the R(D)COM. In the last public version, there is now
> splash
> screen appearing which is kind of boring so I think I need to buy it or
> something.

I would pay for RDCOM, but it requires that you explain the details of you
application spread (which is mostly 1 in my case, since I only work "on
request"), and that's unacceptable to me. I think there is a way to get
around that using the Rcommander (?) version, but I found a better solution:

I have moved to using RServe with c# recently; it has nice support for all
types of structures, and works under Linux (at server side) or Windows.

While RServe is Java, you can use IKVM to make it accessible to c#, and it
works out of the box. Getting this translation to work within an hour was
one of the biggest miracles in my 40-year programmer's life; kudos to the
IKVM (and to rserve, clearly).

You can download my simple test application (no support, and it may not even
work) for Visual Studio from http://www.menne-biomed.de/uni/rserve.zip. You
can use it with a local, Windows rserve, or, more reliably, with a virtual
linux box running under VMWare. The latter works great as a development
environment, and I can create complex installations, for example with
NONMEM, and provide my colleagues the virtual machine as a no-brainer.

Dieter