[R] mmap error, macbook pro

shyama shyamasree.saha at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 10:24:48 CET 2010

Hi,
I am trying to read some files using read.csv and total size of those files
are 3.99 GB. I am using MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM(snow leopard). I also tried
to run a chunk from those files and altogether the size was 1.33 GB. But
every time I was getting the following error

R(1200) malloc: *** mmap(size=16777216) failed (error code=12)
*** error: can't allocate region

I managed to run smaller chunks (400MB) and I also saved the object. But
problem is when I try to load some of those objects(which is not more than
1.5 GB altogether), I get same error again. Can someone please help? why am
I getting this error? does R need more space than the actual file size? I
may buy new machine if its something related to RAM size. but if it is some
R problem then it will be very useless to buy new machine. So, I really need
to know why this is happening.

Thanks.

Shyama