[R] define F-ratio computations with aov

Michael Rennie mdrennie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 13:32:18 CET 2010

Howdy,

In the past, I've just run the ANOVA as normal, and then just grabbed
the appropriate MS for the estimation of F ratios. Eg, this will get you
the MS in your anova object:

summary(obj.aov)[[1]][3]

or

summary(obj.aov)$Mean

And if you want a specific MS,

summary(obj.aov)[[1]][[1,3]]

or

summary(obj.aov)[[1]]$Mean[1]

Then you can just put whichever MS over whichever other MS, estimate
your F-ratios, with something like:

Ffact<- summary(obj.aov)[[1]]$Mean[1]/summary(obj.aov)[[1]]$Mean[3]

estimate the p-values with:

pFfact<-1-pf(Ffact, summary(obj.aov)[[1]]$Df[1],
summary(obj.aov)[[1]]$Df[3])

  and you're off to the races.

You can also specify error strata in the aov() model, but then all you
get is the MS and you have to estimate your F-ratios anyway (though the
indexing is a little different). E.g., if you had a nested anova, you
could specify it as:

ex.aov<-aov(Fixed ~ Nested + Error(Nested/Fixed))

At least this way, the summary() doesn't give you the wrong F-ratios, so
you aren't temped to interpret them incorrectly (as you would in the
previous example).

HTH,

Mike