[R] Constrained non linear regression using ML

Arne Henningsen arne.henningsen at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 17 14:33:54 CET 2010

On 17 March 2010 14:22, Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Contact the maintainer regarding problems with the package.  Not sure
> if this is acceptable but if you get it to run you could consider just
> dropping the variables from your model that correspond to active
> constraints.
>
> Also try the maxLik package.  You will have to define the likelihood
> yourself but it does support constraints.

Yes. And specifying the likelihood function is probably (depending on
your distributional assumptions) not too complicated.

BTW: Even if your y follows a beta distribution, it does not mean that
your error term also follows a beta distribution. And it the
distribution of the error term which is crucial for specifying the
likelihood function.

/Arne

Arne Henningsen
http://www.arne-henningsen.name