[R] How good is R at making publication quality tables?

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Mar 17 20:44:18 CET 2010

Hi Ista,

Our material on statlib is far out of date.  Please refer to the primary
source at http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/StatReport

Thanks
Frank

Ista Zahn wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> For instructions and examples using the Hmisc latex() function you
> might want to take a look at
> http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/S/Harrell/doc/summary.pdf.
>
> -Best,
> Ista
>
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Paul Miller <pjmiller_57 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I have just started learning R and am in the process of figuring out what it can and can't do. I must say I am very impressed with R so far and am amazed that something this good can actually be free.
>>
>> Recently, I finished reading R for SAS and SPSS Users and have begun reading SAS and R and Data Manipulation with R. Based on what I've read in these books and elsewhere, I get the impression that R is very good at drawing high quality graphs but maybe not so good at creating nice looking tables of the sort I'm used to getting through SAS ODS.
>>
>> Am I right or wrong about this? If I am wrong, can anyone show me some examples of how R can be used to create really nice looking tables? I often make tables of adverse events in clinical trials that have n(%) values in the cells. I'd love to see an example that does a nice job of making that sort of table but would be happy to see any examples that someone might be willing to send to me.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Paul

>> Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!

Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chairman        School of Medicine