[R] R on Linux - a primer

Mike Miller mbmiller+l at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 07:13:11 CET 2010

Thanks for sharing the interesting information about cran2deb.  I was
unaware of that project (but I did know that Dirk E. had been doing Octave
and R binaries for Debian for years).  Dirk Eddelbuettel (you spelled his
name correctly) and Charles Blundell gave a talk at UseR! 2009...

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/papers/useR2009cran2deb.pdf

...where they seem to claim that they chose to develop for Debian partly
because of its similarity to Ubuntu:

Common platform -- as Debian forms the base for Ubuntu and several other
derivative or single-focus distributions

Audience -- given the reach of Debian and Ubuntu, large number of users
can be reached with little effort

But that was in July.  This what he was saying in November:

http://www.mail-archive.com/r-sig-debian@r-project.org/msg00892.html

And this is what he was saying a month ago:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-debian/2010-February/001042.html

I guess we just don't know if cran2deb works on Unbuntu and we don't know
if Charles and Dirk will be providing binaries for Ubuntu.  Apparently,
they want to reach the Ubuntu user base, but it is a lot of work for them
and they aren't getting the resources they need to pull it off.

Mike