[R] Using indexing to manipulate data

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 09:41:19 CET 2010

Here are two solutions.  The first uses merge and the second uses
sqldf.  They both do a self join picking off the unique pairs.  The
sqldf solution also sorts the result:

# input
DF <- structure(list(Actor = c("Jim", "Bob", "Bob", "Larry", "Alice",
"Tom", "Tom", "Tom", "Alice", "Nancy"), Act = c("A", "A", "C",
"D", "C", "F", "D", "A", "B", "B")), .Names = c("Actor", "Act"
), class = "data.frame", row.names = c(NA, -10L))

subset(unique(merge(DF, DF, by = 2)), Actor.x < Actor.y)

library(sqldf) # see http://sqldf.googlecode.com
sqldf("select A.Actor, A.Act, B.Act
	from DF A join DF B
	where A.Act = B.Act and A.Actor < B.Actor
	order by A.Act, A.Actor")