[R] language!!!

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Mar 18 12:41:48 CET 2010

On 18/03/2010 6:16 AM, Katharina Gerstendorf wrote:
> Hi,
>

> there´s something that really bothers me about R and after hours and hours of internet research, I´m still stuck with the same problem: I installed R and it is in Spanish, as the system on my work. I would really like it in English and there seems to be no way to change that!?! I´m doing an abroad internship, so my Spanish is far from perfect and my tutorial is in English.
>

> Is there any way that I´m not aware of to change the language environment of R?

Yes, set the environment variable LANGUAGE to what you want.  This is
described in detail in the R Installation and Administration manual.
You can do this on the R command line, e.g. I normally get R in English,
but can switch to Spanish by starting it as

Rgui LANGUAGE=es

The two letter language abbreviations are listed in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_639-1 and a document it links to.

Duncan Murdoch