[R] Rcmdr plugins produce error

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Mar 18 23:03:25 CET 2010

Dear Robert,

I don't know what specifically produced the problems that you encountered,
but it's perfectly possible for Rcmdr plug-ins to be incompatible with each
other: For example, one plug-in could remove a menu to which another tries
to add an item. As to the Rcmdr detecting the errors or recovering more
gracefully, I suppose that it would be possible for it to do more checking
of the menu structure, though I'm not sure that this would be worth the
effort. I'm willing to entertain the possibility of doing so, however.

If there are combinations of plug-ins that you really want to use together
and can identify which conflict (which shouldn't be too hard), you might
bring the conflict to the plug-in maintainers' attention.

Regards,
 John

--------------------------------
John Fox
Senator William McMaster
  Professor of Social Statistics
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
web: socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox

On
> Behalf Of Robert Baer
> Sent: March-18-10 3:58 PM
> To: r-help at r-project.org
> Subject: [R] Rcmdr plugins produce error
>
> I recently updated all my plugins, and for the fun of it, I added ALL the
> Rcmdr Plugins to my collection to see what functionality might exist.  I
> started Rcmdr and loaded ALL the available Plugins from to the Rcdmdr
Tools
> menu.
>
> To my suprise Rcmdr produced a number of warnings and finally an error.
The
> error suggests that some of the extensions are incompatable with each
other
> because of menu name choices.  If one then selects to "restart Rcmdr" at
the
> ensuing prompt, Rcmdr is left in a dysfunctional state such that
Commander()