[R] Odp: language!!!

Petr PIKAL petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Fri Mar 19 09:10:28 CET 2010

Hi Tal

Yes this was what I tried but it did not reveal hebrew  signs, therefore I
assume it has something to do with OS.

put this line

Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL", "Hebrew")

in your Rprofile.site file in etc folder of your R instalatiion

Regards
Petr

Tal Galili <tal.galili at gmail.com> napsal dne 19.03.2010 09:01:20:

> Hi Petr,
>
> Please try:
>
> Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL", "Hebrew")
> # And
> a<- read.table("http://www.talgalili.com/files/aa.txt",encoding="UTF-8"
> ,check.names=FALSE, header = T, sep = "\t")   # Notice the use of
encoding

> And let me know if that works...
>
> The only question I have left is how can you set
> Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL", "Hebrew")
> As the default of R when it is being loaded.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Tal
>

> ----------------Contact
> Contact me: Tal.Galili at gmail.com |  972-52-7275845
> Read me: www.talgalili.com (Hebrew) | www.biostatistics.co.il (Hebrew) |

> www.r-statistics.com (English)

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Petr PIKAL <petr.pikal at precheza.cz>
wrote:
> Hi
>
> Thanks, I am surprised, as I tried it after Bill's post and it did not
> work on my machine W2000, So probably the success or failure is system
> specific.
>
> Regards
> Petr
>
> Tal Galili <tal.galili at gmail.com> napsal dne 19.03.2010 08:43:11:
>
> > It worked !
> >
> > Thank you very much Petr!
> >
> > Tal
> >

> > ----------------Contact
> Details:-------------------------------------------------------
> > Contact me: Tal.Galili at gmail.com |  972-52-7275845
> > Read me: www.talgalili.com (Hebrew) | www.biostatistics.co.il (Hebrew)
|

> > www.r-statistics.com (English)

> > On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 9:32 AM, Petr PIKAL <petr.pikal at precheza.cz>
> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am not definitely expert in locales. It is a relict from time I
worked
> > with W95/98 where were some problems with locale setting and/or
> graphing.
> > I would try just before reading in a file to change locale setting by
> >
> > ?Sys.setlocale
> >
> > > Sys.getlocale()
> > [1] "LC_COLLATE=Czech_Czech Republic.1250;LC_CTYPE=Czech_Czech
> > Republic.1250;LC_MONETARY=Czech_Czech
> > Republic.1250;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=Czech_Czech Republic.1250"
> > > Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL", "Hebrew")
> > [1]
> > "LC_COLLATE=Hebrew_Israel.1255;LC_CTYPE=Hebrew_Israel.

1255;LC_MONETARY=Hebrew_Israel.1255;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=Hebrew_Israel.1255"