[R] execute functions in .dll

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Mar 19 18:39:38 CET 2010

On 19/03/2010 12:47 PM, Tord Snäll wrote:
> Dear all,
> We have a data base with huge amounts of data that we want analysts/scientists to be able to use. These data can be accessed through the internet thanks to a SOAP based web service that we have set up. We have also developed a web service client using Dot.NET framework, which is built into a .dll file.
>
> I now wonder, do you know of a way to execute the functions in .dll files from within R?

If you can call them from C, you can write a simple wrapper.  See
Writing R Extensions for how to write the R to C interface.  Writing the
interface from to your DLL is up to you.  (It's possible R could call
your DLL directly, but it is somewhat limited in the kinds of interfaces
it supports, so you usually need the wrapper.)

Duncan Murdoch