[R] importing .bil files

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Mon Mar 22 19:21:33 CET 2010

Barry Rowlingson wrote:

> GIS and spatial data formats can often be handled by readGDAL (for
> raster grids) from the rgdal package.
>
>  .bil files seem to be handled by the Ehdr driver in GDAL:
>
> http://www.gdal.org/frmt_various.html
>
>  so if your rgdal package has that driver (run gdalDrivers() to see)
> then you may be sorted.
>
> Barry

I think it may be useful to add that rgdal is not provided as a pre-built
binary package for OS X-- you have to build it from source.  This is because
it interfaces with the GDAL library which is a fairly intricate piece of
software that one may wish to custom build.

There are two options I know of for installing rgdal on OS X.  The first is
to use GDAL binaries provided by William Kyngesburye-- he has framework
versions of GDAL along with a pre-built rgdal binary at:

  http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/frameworks#gdal

The second option is to roll your own GDAL and build rgdal from source to
link against it.  You may want to use this option if William's binary
version doesn't include the Ehdr driver.  I posted some instructions for
building the rgdal package from source at:

  http://n4.nabble.com/Help-with-RGDAL-td908487.html#a908488

Hope this helps!

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University