[R] Saving tab/csv delimited data with NaN's

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Wed Mar 24 00:34:44 CET 2010

shankar-17 wrote:

> Hello,
> I am working multiple simulated data sets with missing values, I would
> like to store these data sets in either tab delimited format for .csv
> format with missing values marked as NaN's instead of NA's.
>
> I read the import/export document which mentions that write.table
> command converts NaN's to NA. Is there any other way I can store the
> NaN's. I tried the write syntax it gives me error codes.
> Each data files are of dimensions 1000 x 21 .
>
> I would appreciate any help in this regard.
>
> Many thanks
>

> foo <- matrix(0,nrow=3,ncol=3)
> foo
     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    0    0    0
[2,]    0    0    0
[3,]    0    0    0

> foo[3,3] <- NA
> foo
     [,1] [,2] [,3]
[1,]    0    0    0
[2,]    0    0    0
[3,]    0    0   NA

> write.csv( foo, file='tst.csv', na = "NaN", row.names = F )
> readLines( 'tst.csv' )
[4] "0,0,NaN"

Seems to work fine for me.  If you post a reproducible example, we could
probably figure out why it is not working for you.

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University