[R] ordinal regression

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Mar 24 16:29:07 CET 2010

Iasonas Lamprianou wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> i am carrying out an ordinal regression model. I try it on SPSS but I "flirt" with R as well. I have a few questions.
>
> 1. What is the most reliable/tested/trusted package for ordinal regression in the R world?
>
> 2. Also, I have a statistical question. What is the danger of having to many 'empty cells' in ordinal regression? How many empty cells are too many? Do you have a reference for me to read?
>
> Thank you for the support
>

> Dr. Iasonas Lamprianou

Not sure what is the most trusted but the lrm function in the rms
package does proportional odds and continuation ratio models (the latter
with a trick to expand the dataset).  Nearly empty cells are not a
problem unless you allow for non-proportionality (e.g., interaction
between X and Y).

Frank

--
Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chairman        School of Medicine