[R] Do the missing values in random effect structure matter?

willow1980 jianghua.liu at shef.ac.uk
Thu Mar 25 13:52:46 CET 2010

Hi, everyone,
I met a problem with mixed effect model with lmer.  Basically, I want to
treat region and mother ID as a nested random effect structure with mother
ID nested within a specific region. However, in my dataset, many subjects
had no mother ID (about 25% of them). I want to know, if I use
(1|region)+(1|region:motherID) as the random effect structure, will the
statistical result be biased?
Thank you very much for your help!
Best regards,
Jianghua