[R] MySQL and RODBC - limitations

jorgusch hackl.schorsch at web.de
Fri Mar 26 20:37:27 CET 2010

Hello,

By accident I fell over a problem, which just did not expected...

Via Windows ODBC (package RODBC) I download data from a MySQL 5.1 database.
The amount is so large that the working set memory is going up to around
400MB. Not too large, I think.

Anyhow, one column includes ten digit numbers. Somehow, not all of these
numbers are displayed correctly. At some point all numbers turn to
"2147483647". I am aware of the meaning of the number (2GB). However, where
is the problem? Is it the connector or R?

I set the flag in the ODBC Connector "Allow big results flag", but I see no
difference. Any ideas what I can do?

Thank you!
 jorgusch