[R] Coding of categorical variables for logistic regression?

Ravi Kulkarni ravi.kulk at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 19:15:52 CEST 2010

Hello,
  I am trying to do a logistic regression and have one predictor variable
(x) that is ratio and two predictor variables (y and z) that are
categorical. These have three levels each which I have called "High",
"Medium" and "Low".
  My question: do I need to use a numerical coding scheme for the
categorical variables as required by some statistical software packages,
with some sort of numeric dummy-variable coding?

  I am using:
                 glm(binvar~x+y+z, family=binomial(link="logit"))

  Thanks,

    Ravi Kulkarni