[R] R Cmdr memory

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 28 20:12:15 CEST 2010

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 28/03/2010 9:03 AM, David Winsemius wrote:
>> On Mar 28, 2010, at 4:35 AM, ManInMoon wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a 64 bit R - and where can I get hold of it for Windows  please?
>>
>> For Windows XP?, Not that I know of. There are proprietary versions  for
>> Vista and I believe Professor Ripley is working on an experimental  version
>> for the 64 bit versions of Windows.
>
> We're planning to release 64 bit builds with R 2.11.0.  They are currently
> being built as part of the test process, though the builds are still a little
> irregular.  You can download from <CRAN mirror>/bin/windows64/contrib for
> now, and soon from <CRAN mirror>/bin/windows64/base.
>
> The 64 bit versions of R will require a 64 bit version of Windows to run on.
> I think there may be 64 bit versions of XP, but they are uncommon and I don't

Rare indeed: they are really personal versions of Server 2003 (using
that codebase, not XP's).

But as it happens one of my IT staff uses x64 XP on his personal
machine (he prefers XP to later versions of Windows) and has tested
the R pre-2.11.0 installer there.

> know if they support our builds; we're testing in 64 bit Vista and Windows 7.

And Server 2008 (win-builder).

> Revolution Computing also sells a build produced with a different compiler.
> It has the advantage that the compiler is probably in better shape than the
> one we are using

Pros and cons.  Yes, their compiler is more mature and better tested,
but ours is a variant of gcc and a great deal of code (especially C++
in packages) is written for and tested on g++ and is more likely to
give the intended answers on the R-core build.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk