[R] Page width figures in Latex

Mike Prager mhprager.pdy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 05:34:30 CEST 2010

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:21:40 +1100, Jim Lemon <jim at bitwrit.com.au>
wrote:

>bRotheRs & sisteRs,
>I am once again attempting to learn enough Latex voodoo to get something
>done, and failing comically. The document "RJAuthorguide.pdf"
>mentions that one can get page width figures through the use of the
>"figure*" or "table* environments, but despite considerable searching
>through the mail archives and reading Frank Harrell's discussion of
>"Using Latex Figure Environments for Plots" until my eyes went on
>strike, I am nowhere near a solution. Would anyone be kind enough to
>point me to the Idiot's Guide to Latex Figure Environments?
>
>Jim

Jim,

You need a good book on Latex.  I like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-LaTeX-4th-Helmut-Kopka/dp/0321173856/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269833347&sr=8-4

The width of the figure is controlled by the \includegraphics
statement, not any particular part of the environment specification.
That assumes you have loaded the graphicx package.  For example,

\begin{figure}[!th]
\begin{center}
\includegraphics[width=\textwidth]{myfig.eps}\\
\end{center}
\end{figure}%

HTH,
Mike