[R] Page width figures in Latex

Sharpie chuck at sharpsteen.net
Mon Mar 29 05:56:00 CEST 2010

Rolf Turner wrote:

> On 29/03/2010, at 4:21 PM, Sharpie wrote:
>
> 	<SNIP>
>
>> There are a bunch of caveats such as the figure/table will only appear at
>> the top or bottom of a page and will not appear on the same page as the
>> point at which it was declared in the source.  That is to say, when you
>> declare a figure* in a LaTeX document, one page break must pass before
>> the
>> environment actually gets set in your document- no matter what !h or H
>> vodoo
>> you pull.
>
> 	<SNIP>
>
> I'm not convinced that this is correct; I'm sure I have had floats
> (including figures) placed where I asked them to be placed. :-)
>
> Be that as is it were; if you put:
>
> \usepackage{float}
>
> in your preamble and then do
>
> \begin{figure}[H]
>
> <whatever>
>
> \end{figure}
>
> the figure will appear ***exactly*** where you put it --- provided
> of course that there is room for it there.  Elsewise you'll get a
> page break just before the figure.
>
> 	cheers,
>
> 		Rolf Turner

Aye, that is exactly true for the figure environment.

However, I was referring to the figure* environment (note the asterisk)
which is used when setting a figure that spans a full page in a document
with multiple columns.  Under these conditions, I recall there being some
gotchas such as the figure having to appear at the top or bottom of the page
and one pagebreak having to pass before it appears.

-Charlie

-----
Charlie Sharpsteen
Undergraduate-- Environmental Resources Engineering
Humboldt State University