[R] Coding of categorical variables for logistic regression?

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Mon Mar 29 08:13:22 CEST 2010

This is about the covariates, not the dependent variable. So a polynomial logistic regression seems hardly appropriate.

David is right with his latest statement, just because they are ordered does not assure that the effect is monotonic. If the "low", "medium", and "high" groups had even spacing (e.g., 10, 20, 30 (on whatever scale)), you could use an alternative way of factor coding. Orthogonal polynomial contrasts tests for curvilinear effects by while keeping the factor nature of the variable intact. That is, it is not the same as including the numeric variable and its higher order polynomials (e.g., Rosenthal and Rosnow 1985).

Daniel

cuncta stricte discussurus