[R] Rexcel dataframe import adds "23:00:00" to dates

Peter Quirk pquirk at sepaton.com
Tue Mar 30 04:46:41 CEST 2010

I construct a 2 x 2 table in Excel which contains the following:

Date             Value
12/31/2008    1.0

If I transfer this range to Rexcel with a put dataframe operation to a
variable x, then x$Date is displayed as
                         Date
1 2008-12-30 23:00:00

The datetime value is one hour less that it should be - i.e. it hasn't taken
US Daylight Saving Time into account.

My system locale is UTC-5 (Boston). I'm running R 2.10.1, RExcel 3.0.19,
Excel 2007 (32-bit), Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit).

Is there a way to adjust the locale for Rexcel so it converts the date
correctly?