[R] Confusing concept of vector and matrix in R

Mario Valle mvalle at cscs.ch
Tue Mar 30 12:03:42 CEST 2010

Reframe the problem. Rethink why you need to keep dimensions. I never ever had to use drop.
My .02 something
			mario

Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:42 AM, Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>
>> Well then, why don't you go away and design and build your own statistics and
>> data analysis language/package to replace R?  You can then make whatever
>> design decisions you like, and you won't have to live with the design decisions
>> made by such silly and inept people as John Chambers and Rick Becker and their ilk.
>
>  Aah, argument by (ironic) reference to learned authority!
>
>  Even Einstein was wrong ("God does not play dice"). He was also
> right, thought he was wrong, and then we've discovered he may have
> been right all along (The Cosmological Constant, Dark Energy etc).
>
>  How many of us have _never_ interfaced our foreheads with the
> keyboard when something breaks because we didn't put ",drop=FALSE" in
> a matrix subscript?
>
>  There is no doubt that R plays fast and loose with many concepts of
> type and structure that Computer Scientists would turn their nose up
> at. I would love to go away and redesign it, but I'd just end up with
> python. Truth is that R's statistical power is what makes it great
> because of the vast wealth of CRAN, not the R language per se with its
> "features" that so fluster my comp-sci friends. And many a beginner.
>
> We work round them by bashing our heads on the keyboards, typing
> ",drop=FALSE", and vowing never to do it again. And writing more unit
> tests.
>
> Barry

Ing. Mario Valle
Data Analysis and Visualization Group            | http://www.cscs.ch/~mvalle
Swiss National Supercomputing Centre (CSCS)      | Tel:  +41 (91) 610.82.60
v. Cantonale Galleria 2, 6928 Manno, Switzerland | Fax:  +41 (91) 610.82.82