[R] interpretation of p values for highly correlated logistic analysis

Stephan Kolassa Stephan.Kolassa at gmx.de
Wed Mar 31 16:02:00 CEST 2010

Hi Claus,

welcome to the wonderful world of collinearity (or multicollinearity, as
some call it)! You have a near linear relationship between some of your
predictors, which can (and in your case does) lead to extreme parameter
estimates, which in some cases almost cancel out (a coefficient of +/-40
on a categorical variable in logistic regression is a lot, and the
intercept and two of the roman parameter estimates almost cancel out)
but which are rather unstable (hence your high p-values).

Belsley, Kuh and Welsch did some work on condition indices and variance
decomposition proportions, and variance inflation factors are quite
popular for diagnosing multicollinearity - google these terms for a bit,
and enlightenment will surely follow.

What can you do? You should definitely think long and hard about your
data. Should you be doing separate regressions for some factor levels?
Should you drop a factor from the analysis? Should you do a categorical
analogue of Principal Components Analysis on your data before the
regression? I personally have never done this, but correspondence
analysis has been recommended as a "discrete alternative" to PCA on this
list, see a couple of books by M. J. Greenacre.

Best of luck!
Stephan