[R] Off Topic: teenie weenie numbers -- Was: Precision level

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Mar 31 20:52:41 CEST 2010

There is a story (apocryphal?) about Fred Hoyle, many years ago,
having come to the close of a public lecture about his work in
Cosmology (I seem to recall that it was to the British Astronomical
Association, a society of amateur astronomers, and therefore
knowledgeable). He was taking questions.

A member of the audience asked (words to the effect):

  Can Professor Hoyle explain the reasons why he adopted the
  value 10^1000 [or similar] for the [X] constant?

At which Hoyle grinned, and replied

  "ten to the thousand, ten to the two thousand, ten to the
   three thousand, what difference does it make?"

Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 31-Mar-10                                       Time: 19:52:35