[R] Problem comparing hazard ratios

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Mar 31 20:44:03 CEST 2010

Ravi Varadhan wrote:
> Frank,
>
> Is there an article that discusses this idea of bootstrapping the ranks of
> the likelihood ratio chi-square
> Statistics to assess relative importance of predictors in time-to-event data
> (specifically Cox PH model)?
>
> Thanks,
> Ravi.

Do require(rms); ?anova.rms and see related articles:

@Article{hal09usi,
   author = 		 {Hall, Peter and Miller, Hugh},
   title = 		 {Using the bootstrap to quantify the authority of an
empirical ranking},
   journal = 	 Annals of Stat,
   year = 		 2009,
   volume = 	 37,
   number = 	 {6B},
   pages = 	 {3929-3959},
   annote = 	 {confidence interval for ranks;genomics;high
dimension;independent component bootstrap;$m$-out-of-$n$
bootstrap;ordering;overlap interval;prediction interval;synchronous
bootstrap;ordinary bootstrap may not provide accurate confidence
intervals for ranks;may need a different bootstrap if the number of
parameters being ranked increases with $n$ or is large;estimating $m$ is
difficult;in their first example, where $m=0.355n$, the ordinary
bootstrap provided a lower bound to the lengths of more accurate
confidence intervals of ranks}
}

@Article{xie09con,
   author = 		 {Xie, Minge and Singh, Kesar and Zhang, {Cun-Hui}},
   title = 		 {Confidence intervals for population ranks in the presence
of ties and near ties},
   journal = 	 JASA,
   year = 		 2009,
   volume = 	 104,
   number = 	 486,
   pages = 	 {775-787},
   annote = 	 {bootstrap ranks;ranking;nonstandard bootstrap
inference;rank inference;slow convergence rate;smooth ranks in the
presence of near ties;rank inference for fixed effects risk adjustment
models}
}

--
Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chairman        School of Medicine