[R] What is the best way to have "R" output tables in an MS Word format?

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Sat May 1 05:08:07 CEST 2010

Greg Snow wrote:
> When I work with clients who want to cut and paste to word or
> powerpoint I usually use the odfWeave package, set up a template file
> with the tables and graphs (possibly other output), then I run that
> through odfWeave and then use openoffice to save the results as a
> word file that I can send to the client (and they happily copy and
> paste from it).
>
> There is also development on Sword (still in beta) from the people
> who brought us Rexcel.  It works similarly, but directly with word, I
> will probably start using it more in the future.
>
> Hope this helps,

Another option if you don't want to go the whole route of learning
odfWeave is hwriter. Not sure how it works for a lot of text, but if you
just want graphs and tables, it is very straightforward. I just used it
recently and found it pretty simple. Another option for producing html
is R2html but I didn't try it because I tried hwriter first and it
worked for what I wanted.

The advantages supplying in this form for those who just live in the
Microsoft World are that you can output graphs in windows metafile
format and they can see them in IE (not Firefox), and copy and paste
into MS Office applications.

David Scott

David Scott	Department of Statistics
		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
		Auckland 1142,    NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 923 5055, or +64 9 373 7599 ext 85055
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz,  Fax: +64 9 373 7018

Director of Consulting, Department of Statistics