[R] installing R2.11 on RHEL5.3

V N vijay.nori at gmail.com
Sat May 1 00:15:49 CEST 2010

I am trying to install R2.11 on RHEL5.3. The main code and base
packages compile fine and get installed to \usr\local\R211 (which I
set using --prefix).  I would like to install a set of contrib
packages (car, ggplot2, etc.) also to the same location. Once R is
fired up, I can do install.packages() and it gets installed in ~/
R/...  Is there any way of installing these packages to the main R
installation. There are some packages which all of us in the group use
and would prefer not to repeat for each user.  (if sudo R CMD install
is the way to do it, is there a way in which I can specify just the
package names and have it figure out the dependencies without me
having to download all the tar balls manually?).

Thanks.