[R] Retrieve regular expression groups

OKB (not okblacke) brenbarn at brenbarn.net
Mon May 3 00:03:28 CEST 2010

    	I'm trying to figure out how to get the text captured by capturing
groups out of a regex match.  For instance, let's say I have the pattern
"foo ([^ ]+)" and I match it against the string "This is a foo sentence
I am reading."  The group in the pattern will match the word "sentence"
in the target string.  How can I get access to this matched group?  All
I can seem to get the various grep/gsub functions to do is return or
modify the entire target string.  Isn't there a way to extract ONLY the
text from a particular group or groups?

Thanks,
--
--OKB (not okblacke)