[R] read.table: skipping trailing delimiters

Marshall Feldman marsh at uri.edu
Tue May 4 18:11:38 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am trying to read a tab-delimited file that has trailing tab
delimiters. It's a simple file with two legitimate fields. I'm using the
first as row.names, and the second should be the only column in the
resulting data frame.

Initially, R was filling the last column with NA's, but I was able to
stop that by setting colClasses=c("character","character",NULL). Still,
the data frame is coming in with an extra column, only now its values
are set to "".

Is there any way to skip the trailing delimited field entirely? I've
searched for an answer without luck.

     Thanks.
     Marsh Feldman