[R] puzzles with assign()

David.Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Wed May 5 14:56:07 CEST 2010

Duncan Murdoch-2 wrote:

>   ...<snip>...
> That's because constructing names like this is generally a bad idea.
> But you can do it; you use get() to get the object whose name is in
> temp.name.  So put data=get(temp.name) into your lm() call.

I had another useful answer (sent privately) from Patrick Burns. His "R
inferno" seems like a helpful source of information. Here's a quote from
page 12 that has been very helpful in simplifying my code and making it more
comprehensible. The key seems to be to index a list by character strings.

Patrick Burns wrote:

> A fairly common question from new users is: “How do I assign names to a
> group of similar objects?” Yes, you can do that, but you probably don’t
> want
> to—better is to vectorize your thinking. Put all of the similar objects
> into one
> list. Subsequent analysis and manipulation is then going to be much
> smoother.

Thanks to both.
David