[R] Unexpected call to "require"

Dennis Fisher fisher at plessthan.com
Wed May 5 20:31:47 CEST 2010

Colleagues

I am executing a length script in R (20K lines).  At one point, it returns:
> Attaching package: 'Hmisc'
> 	The following object(s) are masked from package:survival :
> 	 untangle.specials
> 	The following object(s) are masked from package:base :
> 	 format.pval,
> 	 round.POSIXt,
> 	 trunc.POSIXt,
> 	 units

This is not a problem but I am curious as to the source of the message.

The command "require" appears three times in my code, for chron, XML, and SASxport.  When I test each of these (e.g., require("chron")) in a new session of R, I don't receive the messages shown above.  But, the script does return that message.

Does anyone recognize this specific message, i.e., what is triggering the messages?

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Dennis Fisher MD
P < (The "P Less Than" Company)