[R] Read data from .csv file as a matrix

vincent.deluard vincent.deluard at trimtabs.com
Wed May 5 21:33:55 CEST 2010

Hi R-users,

I have a csv file that contains weather observation (rows) by days (in
columns).

I open using:

> temp = read.csv("Weather.csv", sep=",")

and read:

             X X1.Jan X2.Jan X3.Jan X4.Jan
1          Min      2      3      4      1
2          Max      6     10      8      6
3 Forecast Min      3      1      1      3
4 Forecast Max      8      7      4      9

If I type

mean(temp[2,2:3])

I get

X1.Jan X2.Jan
     6     10

The same command on

> y = matrix(1:21, ncol=7)

> mean(y[2,2:3])
[1] 6.5

Works because the data is in a matrix. I believe R stores the data from the
csv file as a data.frame with these annoying headers. So how do I convert
the data from my csv file into a matrix?

I tried as.matrix but it did not help.

Many many thanks!