[R] Using statistical test to distinguish two groups

Ralf B ralf.bierig at gmail.com
Wed May 5 22:24:01 CEST 2010

Thank you for both your help saving me a a lot of time searching for
the right technique. I have another question regarding clustering:

My data set occasionally has only one cluster, meaning that clustering
is not required in these occasional cases.

Example:

list <- c(767, 773, 766, 772, 778, 777, 777, 758, 764, 771, 773, 768,
770, 752, 762, 769, 770, 768, 763)

Here the data will cluster in two groups (e.g. with kmeans) however,
it in fact only is one. I might have the wrong clustering technique
here; is there a method that considers more closely the effect size
between the groups and can be used to make a decision if clustering
should be done or not. This relates to my former question about the
statistical test.

Is there a different metric for these clustering techniques or is
there one clustering technique that uses some form of a test that
allows me to detects such cases (e.g. only to cluster if differences
between the groups have large effect sizes) and skips otherwise? I
have a feeling that what I am asking here is probably more likely a
pre-processing step... any ideas where I could find a technique that
allows me to find such cases?

Ralf