[R] Converting dollar value (factors) to numeric

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Thu May 6 20:14:31 CEST 2010

This can be further simplified by combining the 2 subs into a single gsub('[$,]','',as.character(y)).

This will then convert "$123$35,24,,$1$$2,,3.4" into a number when you may have wanted something like that to give a warning and/or NA value.

The g in gsub stands for global (meaning replace every '$' and ',' not just the first one) rather than greedy (which has a different meaning in regular expressions).

This discussion brings up a related issue that I have thought about for a while.  In the help for read.table in the section on colClasses it says that you can specify other conversions from character as long as there is a method for as corresponding to what you put in.

This suggests to me the approach of writing a conversion function called something like "as.dollar" then setting colClasses=c('numeric','dollar','dollar','factor') or something like that and having the middle 2 columns run through the function.  However my first quick attempt failed (the doc says the method needs to be in the methods package and my quick attempt with setMethod created a local copy).  There is also the possible problem that this would create a column with class dollar when I want a simple numeric.

So this brings up 2 questions:

1. has anyone found a way to create a method for as in the methods package such that my idea above would work? (preferable without much more work than the post-processing already suggested).

2. If the answer to 1 above is no, are others interested in this type of functionality and we should move the discussion to r-devel as a feature request?

Even nicer would be a simple way to go from a single character vector to multiple columns in the data frame, I remember working with a file once where the 1st 3 columns were comma separated (no spaces), but everything after that was white space separated.  I read it in as whitespace separated, then had to post process the 1st column into 3.  But getting all the semantics of 1 to multiple could be tricky.  That particular case could also have been easier if the sep argument to read.table could be a regular expression, but that would probably slow things down for the simple cases.

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center
greg.snow at imail.org