[R] What is the best way to have "R" output tables in an MS

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Fri May 7 11:21:45 CEST 2010

On 05/07/2010 07:00 PM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
>   I think it's the whole geek/suit divide thing. Back when only geeks
> had computers we had LaTeX, and FORTRAN, and S, and Unix (and
> VAX/VMS). But then the suits thought 'hey, we can make money out of
> this', and computers started working their way into offices. And geeks
> didn't like offices. So we left the suits to sort out their own
> software. And they begat Windows, and Windows begat Word, and
> secretaries did type things in and administrators did write VB Macros.
> And the geeks did cringe, but were too busy playing with Linux and
> developing the WWW in their labs to actually go and do anything about
> it. And then the suits did discover the WWW and thought 'hey, we can
> make money out of this'...

Barry, I think you have correctly divided the population of interest,
but missed their approach to marketing the product.

When attempting to convince the customer, the geek (or in my
terminology, nerd) thinks, 'What do I want to do?'

When attempting to convince the customer, the suit thinks, 'What does
the customer want to do?'

(Disclaimer: I have only one suit, and my wife made me buy it)

Jim