[R] What is the best way to have "R" output tables in an MS

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri May 7 15:09:05 CEST 2010

On 05/07/2010 07:45 AM, John Kane wrote:
> Let me see. I open a Word document and type,
>
> Dear Dr.Harrell,
>
> I open a new LaTeX document and type something like:
>
> \documentclass[10pt,a4paper]{letter}
> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
> \usepackage{amsmath}
> \usepackage{amsfonts}
> \usepackage{amssymb}
> \address{your name and address}
> \signature{your signature}
> \begin{document}
> \begin{letter}{name and address of the recipient}
> \opening{saying hello}
>
> Dear Dr Harrell,
>

> For a manager or secretary who is panicky at the thought of using a computer and who thinks of it as a glorified typewriter, which one wins?
>
> I think it was the initial investment in learning how to use the software.  A simple WYSIWYG interface is learnable (is this a word?) in a few moments even if it may lead to some horrible results later.
>
> LaTex looks incredibly complicated to someone used to a fountain pen and an IBM Selectric typewriter (which was "the" high tec way of producing most documents in late 1960s and 1970s.
>
> Heck,when I learned to type we didn't even have electric typewriters!

Two comments.  First, having a library of LaTeX templates is a great
starting point.  Second, Xerox did a head-to-head time-efficiency test
many years ago of WYSIWYG word processing and markup languages by
secretaries.  The markup language approach won easily.  This assumes
that people don't mind learning things that take more than a day to learn.

Frank

--
Frank E Harrell Jr   Professor and Chairman        School of Medicine