[R] P values

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sun May 9 03:38:41 CEST 2010

On 08/05/2010 9:14 PM, Joris Meys wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 7:02 PM, Bak Kuss <bakkuss at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Just wondering.
>>
>> The smallest the p-value, the closer  to 'reality'  (the more accurate)
>> the model is supposed to (not) be (?).
>>
>> How realistic is it to be that (un-) real?
>>

> That's a common misconception. A p-value expresses no more than the chance
> of obtaining the dataset you observe, given that your null hypothesis _and
> your assumptions_ are true.

I'd say it expresses even less than that.  A p-value is simply a
transformation of the test statistic to a standard scale.  In the nicer
situations, if the null hypothesis is true, it'll have a uniform
distribution on [0,1].  If H0 is false but the truth lies in the
direction of the alternative hypothesis, the p-value should have a
distribution that usually gives smaller values.  So an unusually small
value is a sign that H0 is false:  you don't see values like 1e-6 from a
U(0,1) distribution very often, but that could be a common outcome under
the alternative hypothesis.   (The not so nice situations make things a
bit more complicated, because the p-value might have a discrete
distribution, or a distribution that tends towards large values, or the
U(0,1) null distribution might be a limiting approximation.)

So to answer Bak, the answer is that yes, a well-designed statistic will
give p-values that tend to be smaller the further the true model gets
from the hypothesized one, i.e. smaller p-values are probably associated
with larger departures from the null.  But the p-value is not a good way
to estimate that distance.  Use a parameter estimate instead.

Duncan Murdoch