[R] Rd files must have a non-empty \title

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Mon May 10 14:52:03 CEST 2010

On 10/05/2010 7:43 AM, Assa Yeroslaviz wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm trying to install a package I have built. This package contains three
> scripts with various functions (S3 as well as S4 classes)
>
> I run at first the package.skeleton command with:
>
> > package.skeleton("affyAnalysis", namespace=TRUE, code_files =c("defS3.R",
> "defS4.R", "qc.R"))
>
> affyAnalysis is the name of the supposed package and the three script are
> listed at the end.
> results:
> Creating directories ...
> Creating DESCRIPTION ...
> Creating NAMESPACE ...
> Creating Read-and-delete-me ...
> Copying code files ...
> Making help files ...
> Done.
> Further steps are described in './affyAnalysis/Read-and-delete-me'.
> afterwards i tried to install the made package but i encountered a problem
> with the RD files.
>
> As I am working on windows I did it with the R CMD Install -l
> path/to/library affyAnalysis.
> As a result I'm getting the error message:
> C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\balt\Desktop>R CMD INSTALL affyAnalysis
> * installing to library 'C:\Programme\R\R-2.11.0\library'
> * installing *source* package 'affyAnalysis' ...
> ** R
> ** preparing package for lazy loading
> ** help
> Warning: ./man/affyAnalysis-package.Rd:35: All text must be in a section
> Warning: ./man/affyAnalysis-package.Rd:36: All text must be in a section
> Warning: ./man/z_-methods.Rd: \name should not contain !, | or @
> *** installing help indices
> Error in Rd_info(db[[i]]) : Rd files must have a non-empty \title.
> See chapter 'Writing R documentation' in manual 'Writing R Extensions'.
> * removing 'C:\Programme\R\R-2.11.0\library/affyAnalysis'
>
> My question is is there a way around it?
> I don't want to publish this package. It's just a compendium of various
> functions I often use, so i wrote them as a package.
> How can I install this package under R-2.11.0 without so much trouble as
> changing ALL of my RD files?

You could delete them all (or move them to another directory).  You
won't pass R CMD check, but it sounds as though you don't care about that.

Alternatively, you could write a small function to replace the comment
asking for a title with a junk title.  Just loop over all the Rd files,
read them, substitute for the default title line, and write them back.
If you don't want informative help files, it's really not much work to
make uninformative ones.

Duncan Murdoch