[R] smoothing parameter in locfit package

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Mon May 10 18:45:28 CEST 2010

Loader's book is the ultimate reference (other than the source code...).  I don't have it with me right now, so can't tell you for sure.  However, it seems like an odd thing to do to use a different kernel at the selection step than the final estimation step.  I should think if you specify the kernel, it is used regardless of how the bandwidth is chosen.

Andy

From: FMH

> Thank you Andy. I'm aware of that but my question is about
> the way  the locfit package use to automatically determine
> the bandwidth/smoothing parameter if Gauss kernel density
> function is used as the weight function. Does the generalized
> cross validation criteria is imposed here or does the value
> of the bandwidth is fixed (by default) in the package, unless
> we specify our own value?
>

> Cheers,
> Fir

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachme...{{dropped:11}}